Here are some frequently asked questions along with links to websites that provide clarity about what is required in various situations:
1. How do I determine if my planned project is under the jurisdiction of OSHPD / HCAI (the California Department of Health Care Access and Information)? After determining the scope of the project, those in charge should consult with the OSHPD Compliance Officer prior to starting construction. The compliance officer will verify that the project is eligible for the FREER program, and determine which FREER options are available. There is a 48-page FREER manual available online that addresses building-related questions.
2. Should I use an architect or engineer when considering equipment upgrades at my medical facility? You should always consult a design professional such as an architect or engineer when considering a replacement of capital equipment.
3. How should I respond to a manufacturer or supplier that tells me I don’t need OSHPD / HCAI involved or permits with upgrades to our operating room lights, boom or our SPD equipment? Ask the manufacturer / supplier to provide a scope of the project to install the new equipment, then refer to OSHPD/FDD New FREER Manual for clarification. https://hcai.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/FREER-Manual.pdf
4. Where can I find out information about OSHPD / HCAI? The following link provides information about OSHPD / HCAI, including their available resources: https://hcai.ca.gov/construction-finance/eservices-portal-information/#user-guides
5. Is it difficult to become a registered user for my projects at OSHPD / HCAI? They provide a user guide on how to use their HCAI Services Portal Client Access (eCA) User Guide https://hcai.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Section-1-System-Overview-1.pdf
6. Where would I get a building permit application? This is the link to the online application form: https://hcai.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/HCAI-FD-302-Application-for-Building-Permit.pdf
This is the link to the application for new projects: https://hcai.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Section-5-Applications-for-New-Projects-1-1.pdf
7. How do I determine if my planned project is exempt from the permitting process? Here is a link to that information: https://hcai.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/PIN-36-Projects-of-50k-or-Less-Exempt-From-Plan-Review.pdf